Estrogen deficiency and vaginal atrophy of menopause can create many symptoms such as genital itching, irritation, poor vaginal lubrication, vaginal dryness and irritation, and even pain during intercourse (dyspareunia). These symptoms tend to worsen over time.
The discomfort resulting from these physiological changes can interfere with the quality of life; affect relationships, cause low sex drive and lack of libido in some older women due to testosterone deficiency.
Typically when a woman is experiencing menopause, estrogen levels become reduced and leads to gradual thinning of genital epithelial tissues, vaginal and vulva mucosa, which reduces its thickness and becomes more fragile irritable and exposed to trauma. This condition is known as vaginal atrophy.
Loss of cell glycogen (which contributes to vaginal flora balance) and reduced epithelial blood flow are factors that lead to morphological tissue alterations that add up to physiological and functional alterations:
- vaginal dryness and lack of moisture
- decreased vaginal discharge
- increased vaginal pH level, exceeding 5.0
- vaginal lactobacilli decrease and increased microbial antagonism
- inflammation and burning sensation
- itching and localized vasocongestion
- leukorrea or abnormal vaginal discharge
- sensitivity of the vaginal walls to friction and mechanical stress
- leveling of vaginal rugal folds (due to collagen loss and reduced production)
The symptoms related to atrophy of vaginal mucosa and of the lower urinary tract during sexual intercourse can alter genital sensations or worsen existing symptoms, such as reduced sex drive and lack of orgasm.
For years this was simply attributed to the inevitable aging process. Therapies and treatments to improve vaginal physiology and fight disorders that worsened over time were not widespread. Today, more and more treatment options are becoming available and the Mona Lisa TouchTM is a revolutionary, minimally invasive, effective option for many women.
MonaLisa Touch™ is a minimally invasive laser-assisted procedure for vaginal regeneration treatment. The laser’s stimulation of collagen improves the state of the mucosa that lines the vaginal walls and promotes rehydration and functional recovery of the vaginal tissues.
Some of the benefits of this treatment include:
- A quick, safe resolution to your vaginal atrophy symptoms
- A minimally invasive, virtually pain free in-office procedure
- Results are long lasting than its pharmacological counterparts
- A decrease in itching, infections and dryness
- More comfort during sex
- Heightened sensation during intercourse
- Increased hydration vaginally
- A decrease in urinary incontinence
- Increased self-confidence
Contact us today to schedule your consultation. We’ll work with you to determine the most effective treatment plan for your needs.